Photo: Yuri Cortez/Getty Images
Fifteen MS-13 Gang Members Indicted for Brutal Murders in Queens
Teenager Lured into Ambush at Kissena Park
By: The Newspaper
Indictments in Connection with Teenager’s Murder
Fifteen members of the notorious MS-13 (Mara Salvatrucha) gang have been indicted by federal prosecutors as part of a sweeping investigation into a series of brutal murders in Queens, New York City. One of the victims was a teenager who was lured into a brutal ambush at Kissena Park.
According to court documents, seventeen-year-old Andy Peralta was beaten, stabbed, and strangled on April 23, 2018, by a group of assailants who mistook the crown tattoo on his chest as a symbol of membership in the rival gang “Latin Kings.”
Yesterday, Leyla Carranza was indicted in connection with Peralta’s murder. In March 2021, Óscar Flores Mejía, also known as “Chamuco,” and Juan Amaya Ramírez, alias “Cadáver,” were charged in the case. Additionally, Edenilson Velasquez Larín, known as “Aggressor,” “Saturno,” and “Paco,” and described as a national leader of MS-13, was also indicted.
At the time of the crime, Carranza was dating Amaya Ramírez and allegedly convinced Peralta to go to the park for a romantic encounter through social media, as reported by the Daily News.
When Peralta arrived at the park, Amaya Ramírez and two other individuals were waiting for him. After killing him, they posed with his body while making hand signals associated with MS-13, according to prosecutors.
The federal authorities have also linked several of the newly indicted defendants to the violent death of Víctor Alvarenga, a 26-year-old who was murdered near his home in Flushing, Queens, in November 2018. Prosecutors allege that Alvarenga was targeted because he falsely claimed to be part of the “Hollywood Locos Salvatruchas” clique of MS-13.
These gang members have also been connected to two additional homicides: the murder of Abel Mosso, a 20-year-old, at a Queens subway station in February 2019, and the fatal shooting of Eric Monge in September 2020 while he was sitting near his parked car, also in Queens.
The court documents also reveal a number of other crimes, including attempted murder, drug trafficking, and conspiracies to eliminate rivals.
“The murders and other crimes of violence allegedly committed by these defendants were brutal, cold-blooded, and utterly senseless,” said Brooklyn US Attorney Breon Peace. “We will not relent until this transnational criminal organization, its leaders, members, and associates are held accountable for the extreme violence and other criminal activities they have perpetrated in our communities.”
All charges are mere accusations, and those charged are presumed innocent until proven guilty in court.
Long Island and Queens are among the areas with the highest presence of Mara Salvatrucha (MS-13) in the United States, where they are believed to be responsible for dozens of murders and disappearances. This Central American-origin group is known for recruiting young men and women, primarily of Latino descent.
In April of last year, Leniz Escobar, who went by the alias “La diablita,” was found guilty in connection with brutal slayings committed by the Mara Salvatrucha gang in New York.
Fifteen members of the notorious MS-13 gang have been indicted for a series of brutal murders in Queens, New York City. The indictments are part of a larger investigation into the gang’s activities. One of the victims was a teenager who was lured into an ambush at Kissena Park. The group of assailants mistook the teenager’s crown tattoo as a symbol of membership in a rival gang, leading to his brutal murder. Several individuals, including Leyla Carranza, have been charged in connection with the murder. Edenilson Velasquez Larín, a national leader of MS-13, has also been indicted.
What kind of criminal activities is MS-13 involved in besides the brutal murders in Queens?
MS-13, also known as Mara Salvatrucha, is a transnational criminal gang involved in various criminal activities apart from the brutal murders it is notorious for. Some of these criminal activities include:
1. Drug Trafficking: MS-13 is involved in the trafficking of drugs such as cocaine, methamphetamine, marijuana, and heroin. They often smuggle and distribute these drugs through their extensive network.
2. Human Trafficking: The gang is known for engaging in human trafficking activities, including smuggling individuals across borders, often exploiting vulnerable populations for labor or sex trafficking purposes.
3. Extortion: MS-13 frequently targets businesses and individuals for extortion, demanding protection fees or “taxes” for operating in their territory. Failure to comply can result in violence or threats against the victims.
4. Robbery and Theft: The gang members are involved in various forms of robbery and theft, including home invasions, carjackings, and street-level thefts. They often use violence and intimidation to carry out these crimes.
5. Arms Trafficking: MS-13 participates in the illegal trade of firearms, acquiring and smuggling weapons to be used within their criminal operations.
6. Money Laundering: The gang engages in money laundering to conceal the illicit proceeds generated from their other criminal activities. This involves moving and disguising the funds to make them appear legitimate.
It is important to note that these criminal activities may vary in degree and prevalence depending on the specific geographic location and presence of MS-13 chapters.