Arrest Made in Horizon City Shooting
Teenager Faces Charges for Murder of 15-Year-Old Boy
Step.- A 19-year-old man was apprehended on Tuesday, June 20, in connection with the fatal shooting of a 15-year-old boy that occurred in Horizon City back in April.
The El Paso Sheriff’s Office (EPCSO) announced the arrest of Anthony Nguyen Duenas following an extensive investigation. Duenas is accused of shooting and killing Ryan Romero, a 15-year-old student at Bel Air High School, and injuring a woman during a party on April 16 in Horizon.
Details of the Investigation
The EPCSO Bureau’s Major Crimes Unit conducted an inquiry into the incident and determined that the shooting took place during a dispute between two unidentified men at a Batavia street party around 1:30 a.m. on Sunday, April 16.
According to the Sheriff’s Office, one of the individuals involved in the altercation brandished a handgun and fired multiple rounds towards other partygoers.
Romero sustained gunshot wounds and was transported to a hospital, where he was later pronounced dead. The woman who was injured in the shooting is currently receiving medical treatment for non-life-threatening injuries, as stated by the Sheriff’s Office.
A Growing Concern
These gatherings, often characterized by the presence of young individuals, alcohol, drugs, and occasionally weapons, pose significant risks.
Unfortunately, incidents like this are not isolated. On July 11, 2021, a campfire party behind the Socorro Student Activities Complex turned deadly when a 21-year-old man was killed and four others were injured due to gunfire during a fight.
Addressing Teen Crime
In response to a surge in teenage criminal activity last summer, El Paso County reintroduced a nightly curfew for youths in an effort to enhance their safety. The curfew, applicable to individuals under the age of 16 in unincorporated areas, is in effect from 11 pm to 6 am. The city of El Paso has implemented a similar curfew since 1991.
Ded and arrested on Friday in connection with the shooting death of a 15-year-old boy in Horizon City. The teenager now faces charges for murder. The incident is believed to have taken place earlier this week, and the motive for the shooting is still under investigation. The arrest brings some closure to the community, as they grapple with the tragic loss of a young life.
What kind of community support and resources can be provided through PAA to help the community heal and prevent future incidents of violence
The Partnership for Active and Assisted Living (PAA) can provide various types of community support and resources to help the community heal and prevent future incidents of violence. Some possible examples include:
1. Counseling and therapy services: PAA can collaborate with mental health professionals to offer counseling and therapy services to individuals affected by violence. This can help them process their trauma, reduce the risk of developing mental health issues, and promote healing.
2. Support groups: PAA can facilitate support groups where community members can share their experiences, emotions, and concerns related to violence. These groups can provide a sense of belonging, understanding, and support.
3. Education and awareness programs: PAA can organize workshops, seminars, and awareness campaigns to educate the community about the root causes of violence and ways to prevent it. These programs can include discussions on conflict resolution, mediation, communication skills, and other strategies for peaceful resolution of conflicts.
4. Collaboration with law enforcement: PAA can establish partnerships with local law enforcement agencies to enhance community safety and prevent violence. This can involve joint training programs, neighborhood watch initiatives, and increased police presence in vulnerable areas.
5. Youth programs and engagement: PAA can develop and support youth-centered initiatives that promote positivity, leadership, and civic engagement. By offering recreational activities, mentoring programs, and skill-building workshops, PAA can engage young people and provide them with alternatives to violence.
6. Empowerment and social support: PAA can connect individuals affected by violence with social support services, such as job training, financial assistance, housing support, and legal aid. By offering resources to improve their circumstances, PAA can help individuals regain control over their lives and reduce the likelihood of further violence.
7. Collaborations with community organizations: PAA can collaborate with local non-profit organizations, community centers, and educational institutions to maximize the available resources and create a comprehensive support system. This collaboration can enhance the effectiveness and reach of programs aimed at healing and violence prevention.
By providing these community support and resources, PAA can foster healing, create a sense of unity, and reduce the risk of future incidents of violence within the community.